IADR EBD Network Systematic Review Prize
We are delighted to announce the 2007 IADR EBD network systematic review prize. This is an award to encourage researchers to conduct the highest quality systematic reviews on important oral health topics. Systematic reviews may investigate research of any study design; the guiding principle is that it needs to be relevant to the research question/hypothesis under investigation. In other words, it need not be restricted to (or include) randomised controlled trials if this is appropriate. Therefore, the award is open to both Cochrane and non-Cochrane reviews.
The award will take the form of a prize of £7,000 to support research activity plus a certificate. The award will be paid in two installments 50% following the announcement of the winning applicant and 50% on the completion of the review. The review should be completed within 2 years with a progress review presented at the end of the first year.
We are grateful to the Evidence Based Dentistry Journal for generously sponsoring this award in 2007.
Assessment will be made on the basis of a submitted protocol and will be made fully independent of sponsors. There are no specific forms to complete but criteria will include:
- The importance of the oral health topic
- The quality of the methods proposed in the review
- The use of innovative systematic review research methods within the review
- The establishment of an appropriate research team to conduct the review
Applications must include all of the elements below:
A detailed protocol thoroughly describing the background and methods of the review. Guidance on protocol design can be found online in the Cochrane Collaboration handbook and the NHS Centre for Reviews and
Dissemination guide. The protocol should also indicate which tasks will be undertaken by which reviewers
- An explanatory letter describing how the review fulfils the four criteria listed above
- Anticipated timeline for completing each stage of the review:
- Protocols must be submitted by November 30, 2006. The winner will be announced in February 2007.
- Applications must be made electronically, but a cover letter signed by all members of the review team should be sent to arrive by the closing date.
The award will be made at the IADR meeting in New Orleans (March 2007) although no travel support is available.
Please send applications to:
Dr. Jan Clarkson, Dental Health Services Research Unit,
The Mackenzie Building, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee, DD2 4BF, UK
Telephone: + 44 (0) 1382 420060
Fax: + 44 (0) 1382 420051